Improve your English with listening exercises
English Listening Exercise for Intermediate Learners: Aesop’s Fables
The Goose That Laid The Golden Eggs
Description: This is an easy to intermediate English listening comprehension/ fill in the blanks exercise, which you can either do online or download as .doc file to work on your computer. Also available for download are the audio file (.mp3) as well as the Answer Sheet (including quiz questions) below.
Topic: Aesop’s Fables
*If you are using this in class, you may also discuss the moral of the story.
2. Read the explanations of the vocabulary:
- to possess /pəˈzɛs/ verb – to have
- goose /ɡuːs/ noun – a bird similar to a duck, usually with a longer neck
- to decide /dɪˈsʌɪd/ verb– to choose to do something (or not)
- to secure /sɪˈkjʊə/ verb – to save
- precious /ˈprɛʃəs/ adjective – very important, rare or valuable ( a precious golden ring, a precious diamond, gift, memory)
- at once /at wʌns/– at the same time, completely, immediately
- addition /əˈdɪʃ(ə)n/ noun – to add something to something else
- wealth /wɛlθ/ noun – riches ( a lot of money and expensive things)
3. Answer the questions: