Improve your English with listening exercises
English Listening Exercise for Intermediate Learners: Aesop’s Fables
The Old Woman and The Doctor
Description: This is an (upper) intermediate English listening comprehension/ fill in the blanks exercise, which you can either do online or download as .doc file to work on your computer. Also available for download are the audio file (.mp3) as well as the Answer Sheet (including quiz questions) below.
Topic: Aesop’s Fables
*If you are using this in class, you may also discuss the moral of the story.
2. Read the explanations of the vocabulary:
- disease – illness
- to make an agreement – promise or decision made between two or more people
- witness – a person who sees/ hears what happens – a situation, a talk between people, etc.
- fee – some money a person pays for something
- to prescribe – when a doctor says what pills/ treatment one needs to get well
- to cure – to make someone healthy after they have been ill
- article – (here!) a thing, an object
- to refuse – to say that you will not do something
- to sue – to go to court/ judge when somebody hurts you
- defense – protection
- to charge – to ask for money
- to fail – not to succeed
- to be aware – to know something
- to contain – If one thing contains another, it has it inside it.
3. Answer the questions: